Sunday, October 10, 2010

Selfish Bitches

So, what does make someone an adult? When you google it, this is what comes up: Grown Up?

The site starts out with questions that I think about all the time. To quote: "traditional adult status defined as: leaving home, finishing school, getting married, having a child, and being financially independent"

Should I be financially independent at 24? And if I should be, what did I do wrong?

I thought I was doing everything right...I went to college, and finished. After a week of being back in my home state, adjusting to the realization that I am no longer a student, I started applying for jobs. Not only degree-related jobs, but every job that I saw I could do, in the hopes to save up enough money to move on and get my own apartment. It took almost a year for me to land a job, and although I really like it and do everything right (I never call off, I will cover any shift you ask, I'm willing to learn new things, come in early, help other people, etc) it's just not paying off. I have $80 in my savings account. And there is no way I could afford to live on my own on $100/week. I don't buy frivolous things all the time. Sometimes I will buy a candy bar or a t-shirt that I don't really need. But I don't just spend money randomly. I think of myself as financially responsible for the most part.

Should I be married and/or a parent?
*If I can't even afford to support myself, there is no way that the answer to either of these is yes.

Moving on.
I think the most important aspect is being responsible, in general. If you are unemployed, then I don't think you have the right to pick & choose which jobs you will apply to. If you are using your parent(s) to support you for EVERYTHING, then I don't think you have the right to complain about anything...especially if other people in your family are paying rent. To your mother. I just don't understand how someone can not feel bad, when taking advantage of someone simply because she knows that she can. If you can't afford to continue your habits, then you shouldn't rely on someone else to support them. And if this habit happens to be smoking, but people paying rent don't smoke, then you should respect that. Mostly, I think you should fucking get responsible and stop pissing people off. Selfishness is the worst quality in a person.

And this was the most passive-aggressive paragraph I think I have ever written, and I don't care.

No comments: