Monday, March 01, 2010

Here It Is! My Novel (pt. 2)

Well, I lied. I didn't realize that Chapter 1 had not much left. I guess you'd want to know what happens with that whole suicide thing. I suck at this.

Chapter 1, continued:

Olivia woke up in a hospital bed, the bright florescent lights hurting her eyes. She had no idea why she was in a hospital, with only faint memories of a knife and knocking. She thought there might have also been some flashing red lights, but wasn’t quite sure. She suddenly felt an IV in her left hand, and lifted it, wondering what could’ve happened. The door opened and a nurse popped her head in. Olivia noticed that she couldn’t be more than twenty four.

“Hey there Miss Miller, you’re awake! How are you feeling?” The nurse cheerfully asked, like they weren’t even in a hospital, but rather a sorority house.

“I feel fine,” she answered. She wanted to ask this nurse why she was in a hospital, but she didn’t have a chance. Her voice sounded worn and raspy; she hoped the nurse would ask her if she wanted some water.

“There are some people here who will be very happy to know you are awake. I’ll send them in.” She smiled and left the room. Thinking that hospitals normally only allowed relatives, she wondered who could possibly be visiting.

She saw the face of her boyfriend appear slowly from behind the door and she waved him in. He came toward the bed quietly. His hair was disheveled and his eyes dark, as if he had been awake for days. In her excitement, she didn’t notice the other person follow him into the room. Tears filled his eyes as he took her hand in his.

“What’s wrong, Jason? Oh God, did something happen to the baby?” Her other hand rested gently on her stomach, feeling for the baby. “Why am I here? Is she ok?”

“We’re not here because you had a miscarriage. The baby is fine, Liv.” He needed to break eye contact; it was just too much for him. “You…you don’t remember what happened?"

“Honestly, I don’t remember much past dinner…was it yesterday? How long have I been here?”

Olivia felt his tears hit the back of her hand, just missing the IV. “Yeah, um, this is really hard to say, but…”

“Jason, I’ll do it.” The other person in the room answered and Olivia finally noticed that she had been standing there. She came over to the bed, asked Jason to leave, and waited patiently as he left. “Hey there Liv.” Her voice started out sweet, but turned angry quickly. “I was so worried about you, you know. I was so afraid you weren’t going to make it.”

“Miss Kelly, why are you mad? I don’t even know why I’m here.”

Miss Kelly took a seat on the edge of the bed and sighed. “Olivia, you really scared us all.” She paused and took a deep breath. “You got into an argument with Jason about something to do with the baby. When Jason went to apologize about an hour later, he noticed that you had locked yourself in your room. When you wouldn’t answer, he panicked and came to get me, thinking you were just really upset with him. I used my key to break in. That’s when Jason found you on the floor.”

Olivia looked down at the bed; she couldn’t make eye contact with Miss Kelly anymore. She could see the pain she had caused and didn’t want to face it. The whole night had come back to her, the argument, the stolen knife, the ambulance.

Miss Kelly lifted Olivia’s head so she could look at her. “He found you in a pool of blood, Olivia. You had passed out from the cuts on your wrists.”

The memories came flooding back; everything she didn’t want to think about anymore came back tenfold. She remembered thinking about how many problems the pregnancy had caused, and that by ending the pregnancy all the problems would be solved. For days she had thought about alternatives, but the only thing she could come up with was killing the baby via killing herself. This seemed like the best solution for a sixteen year old with no family except a sister.

“I’m so sorry. I just didn’t know what else to do. I panicked.”

Miss Kelly wrapped her arms around her. “Don’t. It’s over now. I’m just happy that you’re alive.”

With only the hospital gown on, Olivia felt a tear hit her shoulder. They hugged for awhile, and when they were done, neither said anything. Miss Kelly walked out and Olivia shut her eyes. She thought about what would have happened if Jason hadn’t found her and cried softly.

Ok, it will literally not let me make paragraph breaks...So that's annoying.

No comments: