Saturday, November 14, 2009

I feel nothing.
I feel everything.
I don't like this feeling.

I have been trying to not be critical of NaNoWriMo, and how I sometimes feel that it is stupid for a bunch of non-writers (and I'm sure writers) to get together and write some arbitrary number of words with no editing. Who chose 50,000 words? Couldn't a novel be shorter? And heaven knows they can be longer...just ask Stephen King. And it's not that I can't do it. But I don't like this feeling of not meeting goals that other people have set for me. I could write everyday, but it wouldn't be the best I can do. I get into writing moods, and in these moods I can crank out 3000 - 7000 words. But I can't write 1,667 everyday.

This is why I wasn't a creative writing anything in college. How can someone say, "You have to be creative this week and write a twenty page short story," without feeling like a dick? I'm sure Stephen King isn't always creative. And I'm sure Hemingway took time out of his writing to do things other than be creative...(actually I'm positive he did, because I wrote a paper on him). What if I'm not feeling creative? And what if I'm having a bad week? And then how can they give me a useless and subjective grade on something that they forced me to write, without thinking about whether it was my week to shine? What if they had waited til the next week? Also, what if what this person thinks is a C short story, is an A short story to someone else?

What I'm trying to say is that NaNo shouldn't tell me that I didn't "win" because I only made it to 49,000 words.

No comments: