Monday, May 11, 2009

Depression on TV

Yeah, so. The episode of Reba that I'm watching right now is making it sound like taking anti-depressants and/or going to therapy is horrible. The wife finds out that her husband is going to therapy because of old issues he can't work out or forget and she throws him out of the house. She doesn't understand how he can be depressed when he's married to such a wonderful woman. They have been referring to them as "Happy Pills," and pretending like no one should know. She would actually be happier if he was having an affair. How do friendships and marriages end over something as trivial as brain chemistry?

Next scene that pisses me off: The depressed character is cutting tomatoes and told someone, who is now freaking out and trying to remove all the knives from sight. How does, "I'm in therapy," translate into, "I'm going to kill myself at every chance I get?"

Next scene: The daughter appreciates him for being honest and "being a true human being."

This only disturbs me because I happen to be taking them. While I don't really feel like it's necessary to tell everyone you know, I also don't feel that it is taboo to talk about it. If someone asks, I'm going to tell them. I shouldn't feel like I need to lie to them because I'm afraid of them walking on glass around me or treating me like a fragile little China doll. That's generally what they do anyway.

I can't tell if it was from this episode/topic or if it's because I'm hungry, but I kinda feel like I want to throw up. I think too much.

No comments: